Friday, October 23, 2009

Another Day, two more projects

Today is Friday and I'm excited to report what I'm doing today in my home. My husband layed new tile in our kitchen. We re-located part of our kitchen cabinets, the island with cooktop and our double oven to different places within our existing kitchen. We wanted to create the footprint for newer cabinets later but wanted to get the tile in now since it's less expensive. We had to pull off the "fake"baseboard underneatht he cabinets (you know, that white or beige rubbery stuff) to lay the tile. With the dried up glue right up aganist our new tile, it distorted the beautiful tile. So, I bought a can of flat paint and painted that base board area (on top of the dried glue) with a dark, dark brown. WOW! My tile looks so much better because that's the first thing you look at is the floor and then move your eye up. So, the dried glue looks like the texture in wood. You would never know! This is my happy and inexpensive fix for my favorite place in my house, the kitchen!
And then after I pick up my daughter from pre-K, my friend is coming over to help me put on a mirrored privacy film on my front family room window! We opened a wall between our kitchen, breakfast room and our family room. Now our front window exposes our insides. With this film, people from the street will only see a mirrored effect. We have a nice honeycomb shade for the sun in the mornings and for evenings when it's dark. This is a fantastic and cheap way to keep the light in your house plus have privacy! When I was 8 years old, my dad put this type of film over our windows on the second floor as we looked out over a greenbelt. I would have my window opened a little bit and then say something silly to folks walking by and just stand in my window area. They could not see me because it was reflective. That was so fun and cool and now I'm applying that to my own house! These are my two projects for a Friday!
I don't do much over the weekends because my husband is in and out and when he see's me doing stuff, he gets concerned. I say hey, you want to do it? He's always pleased with the finished results.
Have a happy weekend! I have more projects to do Monday so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment